Friday, May 25, 2007

Day Two 5/25/07 - Friday

Or three. Or is it really still two? I'm so confused. Friday morning we all awoke very early (like 3am local time) because our sleep schedules are totally messed up. However, it allowed us to enjoy several cups of nice coffee before having to go take our baths, etc and get ready for our 7am flight to Stornoway.

Flight to Stornoway was pretty uneventful, really. The car hire place met us and we found the grocery pretty quickly. We stocked up on staples and headed for the cottage, which we found and were installed into by 11am.
At which point I became suddenly completely and totally exhausted (after bragging all morning that I thought I was just fine now as far as this whole "jet lag" thing goes). I laid down for a "quick nap" about 11:30, and didn't wake up for over 4 hours. We all then took a fabulous walk to Eoropie beach, then stopped at the Eoropie Tea Room to recover from the cold wind. The hot soup and pot of tea was just what the Dr ordered, and we were back in action. After walking back to the cottage, we hopped into the car to explore the island a little more. We drove up to the Butt of Lewis and wandered around there for a bit. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.
We're now back at the cottage and I realize that I have absolutely completely not one smidgeon of an idea about what time it is, which is an odd feeling, really. I look at my cellphone, and it says 1:32, and that seems like it might be right. I look at the clock on the wall, and it says it's 6:32pm, which also could be right. The sky outside is a hazy, cloud covered sun, so I really have no idea where the sun is in the sky, or what is normal for a sun to do this time of year. It could be anywhere from early afternoon to early evening. I'm not hungry, because we just had tea at the tea room. But I am tired. Like I have been all day. I am exhausted. Stupid in the head tired. People ask me simple questions, and I have no idea what to say tired.

So I'm working on a wee dram, then back to bed by 8:30 or so.

Our plan for tomorrow is to head back to Storonoway for a little shopping. After feeling the intense cold wind here on the northern tip of the island, we all immediately appreciate that new thick sweaters, hats, scarves and even perhaps gloves are a good idea, if we're really hoping to walk around a goodly chunk of the place.

Will try to post this from Stornoway, if we can find a wi-fi outlet.

No comments: