Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sunday June 10


6/10/07 Day Eighteen. Sunday.

Today we saw Edinburgh Castle. Very impressive huge old thing set high on a cliff overlooking the town. At one point the castle had been used as a prison for war, and they held American revolution war prisoners there. I tried to imagine how horrid that must have felt to be a prisoner then, and being marched into town and seeing this huge old dour castle on the hill and the sinking feeling that might enter your soul as you realized this was where you were headed.

I got a bit emotional this afternoon, after touring the castle, we were walking down the Royal Mile, shopping a little. There were street musicians everywhere, and the bagpipe music was thick in the air. I've been shopping for scarves and badges for the clans that represent our family blend. It just kind of overwhelmed me at one point, after shopping and finding our Mackenzie, McCallum (Maccalum), and Campbell symbols, hearing the bagpipes and realizing that perhaps not just one, but many of my own ancestors had walked this same street at some point, looked at these same old castles and churches, listened to perhaps this very music.

It kind of stopped me in my tracks for a moment, this sensation of a whirlwind of time. I think Hannah felt it too, as she also got a touch teary eyed for a minute, and all of a sudden she wanted to shop for a kilt. Over the next few days we are hoping to find the right place to get her outfitted properly as a Mackenzie. Looking at these beautiful old buildings, seeing the art, seeing the beauty and strength of the Scots makes me proud to have a bit of this in my blood. I am so glad we are here.

Love to all
Marg

No comments: