Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Hadrian's Wall

Today we went to Hadrian’s wall via Newcastle. I happen to like old falling-down rocks, and am a history buff to the core, so I had a blast. But this really is a big “don’t bother” unless you really like old broken things. There isn’t much of the wall left. Looking at the pictures made me think there were miles of the thing that one might enjoy hiking along. But the thing’s been pillaged over the centuries, and there are just a few fragments. Still, walking around what little we saw was fun for me, as well as wandering through the (broken foundations of the) buildings in the Roman fort at Housesteads.

There was one thing these Romans did right. The fort was built on the south slope of a tall hill, and the latrines were situated such that the drainage pointed away from the well. But the (broken foundations of the) village outside the south gate of the fort looked a little close to the latrine drainage path for my likes.

No comments: